Sunday, April 15

Sago Palm - Poison ! Pets are at particular risk since they seem to find the plant very palatable.

I have a client that I am working with on Home-cooking ;  Her Dog's liver is damaged and almost died from Sago Palm -- I guess they like to munch on this little palm.. READ about it.   It's used in many places.... 
She will be having her Vet review my home-cooked recipes for approval.
The Vet wanted her to use the Hill's RX dog food  ( I have alternatives to that )



Toxicity of  " Sago Palm " Plant/ small tree 

Cycad Sago Palm is extremely poisonous to animals (this includes humans) if ingested. Pets are at particular risk since they seem to find the plant very palatable.[2] Clinical symptoms of ingestion will develop within 12 hours and may include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, seizures, liver failure, or hepatotoxicity characterized by icterus, cirrhosis, and ascites.  The pet may appear bruised, have nose bleeds (epistaxis), melena (blood in the stool), hematochezia (bloody straining), and hemarthrosis (blood in the joints).[3] The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center estimates a fatality rate of 50 to 75 percent when ingestion of the Sago Palm is involved.  The incidence of Sago Palm ingestion by pets has risen by over 200% in the last five years.[4] If any quantity of the plant is ingested, a poison control center or doctor should be contacted immediately. Effects of ingestion can include permanent internal damage and death.
All parts of the plant are toxic; however, the seeds contain the highest level of the toxin cycasin. Cycasin causes gastrointestinal irritation, and in high enough doses, leads to liver failure.[5] Other toxins include Beta-methylamino L-alanine, a neurotoxic amino acid, and an unidentified toxin which has been observed to cause hindlimb paralysis in cattle.

SEE more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycas_revoluta

LOOK For this plant in any areas that get 86 or above in the summer months:It does however require hot summers with mean temperatures of 30 to 35 °C (86 to 95 °F) for successful growth, making outdoor growing impossible in colder places such as northern Europe or the Northeast US, even where winter temperatures are not too cold. One disadvantage of its domestic use is that it is poisonous to animals (this includes humans).

                                          
PLEASE pass on my page to your friends- Warn them about this...
http://www.bulldogvitamin.com/2012/04/sago-palm-poison-pets-are-at-particular.html


 I GET reports like THIS all the time : PLEASE share the above link: 

A dog owner's account of this Potential Disaster !


I had a major plant poison scare with my dogs yesterday. They got into a Sago palm and after researching the dangers, rushed them to the emergency animal hospital. The initial exam did not indicate they ingested any of the plant and when I went through the leaves, I didn't see any that were chewed and there were no nuts/seeds laying around (the most dangerous part.) The scary part is there is no real way of knowing for the first 2-3 days. By the time I discovered they had been tug-o-warring with a Sago Palm frawn, it was too late to rely on forced vomitting. My next option was activated charcoal - the liquid stuff with sorbital for faster absorbtion - not a fun treatment to give a dog and it's messy. I'm hopeful that this was just a scare and that they didn't ingest any of the sago palm (or not enough to cause death or permanent liver damage.) You have a very limited amount of time to prevent death and permanent damage. Anyway, if you have any sago palms or other poisonous plants - please get rid of them. They must think I'm a crazy mom for rushing them to the doc in the middle of the night and feeding them awful black charcoal glue-like substance. Poor doggies :( Just sharing in case anyone in this group is unaware of the dangers of Sago palm. Also, it's best to buy activated charcoal and keep it at home for just in case situations for most types of poisonings. it's impossible to find when you need it but easy to find on the internet when you don't. Please wish us luck that they are ok! ( Activated Charcoal comes in a capsule form , too ) KEEP on hand ...